Saturday, January 22, 2011

The King's Speech: yes.

Yes, thumbs up. Yes, go see it if you're at all interested in -

  • History
  • Leadership
  • Courage
  • Standing up to a challenge
  • Great stories.
It's one of those rare movies where the audience applauds - especially interesting since it's been in theaters for nine weeks now. And it's one of the rare ones on Yahoo Movies where both the critics and viewers rate it A. Roger Ebert's review, as usual, matches my view.
On a personal note, I was strangely moved by Colin Firth's portrayal of the parallel challenges "Bertie" faced: stammering, and being thrust to the throne as his country approached war. He compellingly conveyed both feelings: "I don't know how to do this" and "I know I must." I was moved to tears by the portrayal, credible and not overdone, of courage and backbone in the face of fear and duty.

1 comment:

  1. I agree- what a great film! I watched it with my toastmasters group. Stories about people overcoming near impossible odds are a wonderful asset to, well, those of us facing near impossible odds.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be posted after they are reviewed by the moderator.